Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The "Best" Death


Lately, I've become such a sucker for the grim. Death and melancholy have been surrounding my thoughts, and it doesn't help that most of what I watch and read is about fate, destiny, and the frailties of life.

Don't worry, I'm far from suicidal, but a question seems to keep lingering in my mind.

What matters most: how we live or how we die?

We live on this earth for all but a short time and we don't know our passing.  There are people who will give their entire lives toward making the world a better place, and there are those who choose to die so others can live...

There is honor in both actions, but if you think about it, which holds more weight? It's really hard to discern, but from what I've come to understand...its takes true courage and heart to choose death so that you can save the life of another!

I just wanted to talk about several sacrificial scenarios that I've watched that really touched my heart...


I finished the anime, Samurai 7, about a week ago, and it was this show that really sparked my thoughts. The anime is short. It lasts only about 20 something episodes, but the message was deep and truly got to me.
 
In their world, samurai are used to help defend people against foes (kinda like police), but due to changing times, technology took the place of samurai and their powerful skill "went out of business".

In the story, there is a farm town overtaken by "technological" rebels. They were stealing their food and leaving the town with little to nothing to survive off of. The towns people hired the samurai because it was the only way they could be defended.

Many of the samurai that end up helping the farmers are originally wanderers. They mind their own business and do their own thing. I found it interesting that once the samurais' were convinced to help the farmers, they became willing to risk their lives to the death in order to fulfill that commitment. Many of the samurai ended up sacrificing themselves in the line of duty just so that they could achieve an honorable death. Before the farmers, the samurai had no intention to risk their lives, but in the end it was all about being corageous, righteous, and loyal to the mission.
 
The message is to fight for what you believe in no matter the cost, even if that means you'll die in the end.
 
 It makes me think of the wars going on and the sacrafices being made by the men and women out there fighting day in and day out just to protect our spoiled nation. They honestly deserve way more credit than what they are given.
 
 
After Samauri 7, I started watching One Piece to appease my brother's obsession and I must admit, from what I saw it was pretty awesome.

What struck me though was Luffy's beliefs. He says:
 
"If I die trying, then at least I tried"

 
I haven't watched much One Piece, I think I'm at episode 6 or 7 out of 600.  By the time I finish I'll probably be on my death bed. But what really gravitates me to the show is Luffy's purpose and willingness to risk his life on a consistent basis in order to go after what's true to him. Whether its his dreams or his friends, he will put his life on the line because that is what matters in the end...what you die for...
 
It's this trait that makes Luffy a pretty cool dude along with his crazy fighting skills.
 
There seemed to be a trend in this subject. I went to the movies this past weekend and saw it in both movies, Man of Steel and This is the End. Granted one movie was super serious and the other was hilarious, but I got the message from both. Dying with purpose is the "best" way to go.
 
After watching all of these shows, I think about my life and where its going. I think about my dreams and the things that I would be willing to put my life on the line for. I guess you don't really know for sure until the predicament actually arises...but if you had to would you be strong enough to sacrafice your life to fulfill a purpose?

~Neen


No comments:

Post a Comment